QSD Requirements

In order to become a QSD, you must:

  1. Take an approved QSD Training Course offered by a Trainer of Record (ToR) approved by the California Storm water Quality Association (CASQA).
  2. You must also pass a QSD Exam, proctored by the State or Regional Water Quality Control Board.
  3. You must also hold one of the following Licenses or Certifications:
    • A California registered professional civil engineer;
    • A California registered professional geologist or engineering geologist;
    • A California registered landscape architect;
    • A professional hydrologist registered through the American Institute of Hydrology;
    • A Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) registered through Enviro Cert International, Inc.;
    • A Certified Professional in Storm Water Quality (CPSWQ) registered through Enviro Cert International, Inc.; or
    • A professional in erosion and sediment control registered through the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET);

You may take the QSD Training Course and QSD Exam prior to getting the above mentioned certification. Once you have taken the QSD Training Course and passed the State proctored exam, and you hold one of the above listed certifications, you will make your application to CASQA, and pay a registration fee. CASQA will issue the actual QSD Certificate. This entire process must be complete by September 2011, if you intend to write SWPPPs after that date.