QSP Requirements

In order to become a QSP you must:

  1. Take an approved QSP Training Course offered by a Trainer of Record (ToR) approved by the California Storm water Quality Association (CASQA).
  2. You must also pass a QSP Exam, proctored by the State or Regional Water Quality Control Board.
  3. You must also hold one of the following Licenses or Certifications:
    • A California registered professional civil engineer;
    • A California registered professional geologist or engineering geologist;
    • A California registered landscape architect;
    • A professional hydrologist registered through the American Institute of Hydrology;
    • A Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) registered through Enviro Cert International, Inc.;
    • A Certified Professional in Storm Water Quality (CPSWQ) registered through Enviro Cert International, Inc.; or
    • A professional in erosion and sediment control registered through the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET);
    • A certified erosion, sediment and storm water inspector (CESSWI) registered through Enviro Cert International, Inc.
    • A certified inspector of sediment and erosion control registered through Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control, Inc. (CISEC)

You may take the QSP Training Course and QSP Exam prior to getting the above mentioned certification. Once you have taken the QSP Training Course and passed the State proctored exam, and you hold one of the above listed certifications, you will make your application to CASQA, and pay a registration fee. CASQA will issue the actual QSP Certificate. This entire process must be complete by September 2011, if you intend to do any SWPPP related inspection and documentation.